The Branch of Environmental Management (BEM) provides technical assistance and review of environmental compliance requirements for schools funded by the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) locations, including Tribally Controlled Schools (TCS), Bureau Operated School (BOS) and residential boarding facilities. These activities include:
- Technical Support: Provide technical guidance and support related to environmental management, including developing scope of work and estimates for projects. Providing support to school facility staff to address environmental compliance and remediation efforts, emergency for facilities.
- Environmental Management System: The Indian Affairs uses the Environmental Management System (EMS) to manage environmental compliance and projects. The BIE BEM will manage and assist school in entries to the EMS.
- Training: Provide training on environmental issues and maintain compliance, including training require for certification. Subject of trainings include the EMS, Water Quality, Air Quality, Hazardous Waste, etc.
- Coordination with other stakeholder: Provide coordination and facilitation with other stakeholders like USEPA, DFMC, BIA and schools on environmental issue such as compliance violation, remediation projects, etc.
Point of Contact:
Supervisory Environmental Specialist
Branch of Environmental Management
The Branch of Facility Management (BFM) provides technical services, related to facility management for all of Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) locations, including Bureau Operated Schools (BOS), and Tribally Controlled Schools (TCS). The BFM team provides support and guidance to ensure a safe and reliable infrastructure, including school buildings, athletic playgrounds, utility systems, administration offices. The BFM provides technical assistance and guidance on the following:
- Facility System Management: Staff assist with Minor Improvement & Repair, Facility Improvement & Repair, Deferred Maintenance, Quarters Improvement & Repair, Abatement Plans with Schools to address deficiencies, Maximo to process work orders in timely manner.
- Technical Support: Provide technical guidance and support related to facilities, including developing scope of work and estimates. Providing support to school facility staff to address maintenance and operation of school facilities, including emergency repairs for facilities.
- Training: Provide training on facilities issues, including maintenance and operations, safety awareness, etc.
- Coordination with other stakeholder: Provide coordination and facilitation with other stakeholders like the Division of Facilities Management and Construction (DFMC), BIA and schools on facilities issue such as space expansion request, design, and construction.
Point of Contact:
Supervisory Facility Operations Specialist
Branch of Facilities Management
Bureau of Indian Education Space Expansion Review Process letter dated June 16, 2021
BIE Space Expansion Review Process FINAL dated June 16, 2021
The Branch of Property Management (BPM) serves to assure the appropriate use of federal property by appropriately and responsibly extending the life cycle of federal property and maximizing its usefulness before disposal for all locations with the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE), including Bureau Operated Schools, and Tribally Operated Schools.
The BPM coordinates Bureau-wide implementation of Federal policy and regulations for acquisition and personal property. The BPM is responsible for providing guidance and technical assistance to BIE programs/schools to ensure compliance with the following activities/functions:
- Technical Support: Provides technical guidance and support related to property management, including guidance on property management, process, and projects. Providing support to school facility staff to personal property inventory reporting and certification, excess Personal Property, personal property reutilization, personal property disposal, direct donation of personal property, personal property purchase UPC assignment.
- Property Management System: Assist in maintenance and updates to the FBMS database.
- Motor Vehicle Fleet Management.
- Training: Provides training on property management and related issues, including
- Coordination with other stakeholders like BIA and schools to address deficiencies or coordination on inventory process.
- Capital Planning for Personal Property Assets.
Point of Contact:
Acting Supervisory Property Management Specialist
Safety and Occupational Health
The Branch of Safety and Occupational Health (SOH) provides technical services, related to the safety and health for all Bureau of Indian Education locations, including Tribally Controlled Schools (TCS) and Bureau Operated School (BOS). This includes the responsibility for Employee Safety, Visitor Safety, and most importantly the safety of the Students entrusted into our care. The functions of the SOH Branch include:
- Hazard identification: This is achieved through onsite inspections, accident investigations, national trend analysis, and working relationships with key leaders at all levels within BIE.
- Training: Safety awareness is the corner stone of achieving participation in safety program management. Through training, SOH intends to emphasis the personal worth of safety to every individual throughout BIE.
- Technical Support: SOH responds to requests from the field regarding predictable and unpredictable safety events. SOH helps to identify best practices and participate in development of local safety programs.
- Accident/Incident prevention: SOH works with schools to ensure that they are aware of protective measures to avoid accident and incidents in the workplace. SOH identifies sources for materials to improve prevention measures at BIE locations. SOH also provides recommendations on emerging technology in the Safety field.
Point of Contact:
Supervisory Safety Manager
Branch of Safety and Occupational Health
IA - O&M Certificate of Occupancy Guidance
Nov 18 to May 19 Safety Webinar Schedule
BIA/BIE Service Level Agreement(approved Dec. 2017)
Memo-Commitment to BIE Schools-Healthy and Safe Environments(5/3/2018)
Memo to School Administrators re Safety Bulletin Board(5/3/2018), attachments listed below:
- BIE Directors Commitment to SOH
- DOI Poster Occupational Safety and Health Protection for Interior Employees
- OSHA 300A Summary
- Most recent Annual Safety and Health Inspection Report (not attached)
- What a Federal Employee Should Do When Injured at Work CA-10
- IA Employee OWCP Checklist
- IA Supervisor OWCP Checklist
- Serious Accident Notification Form
- Employee Report of Unsafe or Unhealthful Working Condition
- Emergency Contact Information Sheet
Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) School Inspections for Fiscal Year 2019
These reports respond to the following language in the H. Rept. 115-765 - Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies, Appropriations Bill, 2019 which states:
Executive Direction and Administrative Services. The recommendation includes $224,880,000 for Executive Direction and Administrative Services. The following programs are funded at the requested levels: Assistant Secretary Support; Executive Direction, (Central); Executive Direction (Regional); Administrative Services (Central); Administrative Services (Regional); and Rentals. Indian Affairs is directed to complete annual health and safety inspections of all BIE system facilities, and to publish quarterly updates on the status of such inspections.
EPA Healthy Schools
FEMA Multihazard Emergency Planning for Schools Toolkit